April 15, 2020
Revised August 1, 2022
VI Office of Veterans Affairs Policy Letter #3 (v2)
Subject: Medical Travel Reimbursements
Travel within VA Caribbean Healthcare Network
Virgin Islands Veterans traveling to the closest VA medical facility for medical appointments are eligible for 100% reimbursement of flight arrangements. These Veterans must meet the following criteria:
- Appointment/referral must be initiated by the VA Community Based Outpatient Clinic (CBOC) or authorized by the Director of the V.I. Office of Veterans Affairs for emergency purposes.
- Veterans’ appointment slip from the local CBOC, boarding passes, and ticket receipt showing amount must be presented to the VI Office of Veterans Affairs upon return as a part of the approval process.
- Appointment must be a non-service-connected appointment (service-connected appointments are funded via the CBOC).
- Flight arrangements for one flight companion can be reimbursed IF the attending physician states (in writing) the need based on medical necessity.
NOTE: All Veterans seventy (70) years of age or older are authorized to be reimbursed for the ticket of a travel companion through the Office of Veterans Affairs whether the CBOC states so in writing or not. The purpose of the companion must be to assist the Veteran as they travel.
Travel outside of the VA Caribbean Healthcare Network
Virgin Islands Veterans traveling outside of the VA Caribbean Healthcare Network are authorized to be reimbursed by the Office of Veterans Affairs at a rate of no more than $250, for no more than three (3) trips per fiscal year (October 1 – September 30) under the following circumstances:
- Veteran must be receiving care at a VA Hospital or VA Medical Center (being seen at a CBOC does not qualify)
- Reimbursement for travel must be pre-approved by the Director of the V.I. Office of Veterans Affairs before travel is initiated. This will also include verification of appointment at a VA Medical Facility. Proof of attendance at appointments is required before final approval.
- Only the Director of Veterans Affairs can approve reimbursement for travel outside of the VA Caribbean Healthcare Network.
- Travel attendants are not authorized for reimbursement
- Authorization will be based on availability of funds.
FOR Official Use
This policy is effective as of the date on this letter and remains in effect unless changed or rescinded by the current Director of the Virgin Islands Office of Veterans Affairs.